Tuesday 3 May 2011

Bite Me

I have a confession to make.  It has nothing to do with the marker stains on the couch (that was my 4-year-old, trust).  The big reveal is -- I have not read any of the Twilight books.  Once you get your gasp in check, there's more.  I haven't read any Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Vampire Academy, Interview with a Vampire, Dracula or any of the legion of vamp-inspired books that are omnipresent in today's lit landscape.  Not a single one.  You can pretty much rest assured that if fangs and human blood are an integral part of the plot, I haven't read it.  It's not a conscious choice.  I don't see those titles and wrinkle my nose in disdain.  With my limited time, I tend not to gravitate to our pasty pals when it's book-choosing time.      


Curiously, I have seen many of the films and television shows.  I happily sat through the first three Twi-movies (okay, one was on a plane so it was more 'uncomfortably' than 'happily').  I am a voracious viewer of Vampire Diaries and True Blood.  I still worship at the altar of Buffy and Angel.  I've also seen Interview with a Vampire and Dracula more than once.  I am an avid reader, I swear.  When it comes to my fantasy reads, however, I prefer pretty much anything but the fang gang.  I like me some superpowers, mythological creatures, even depressing dystopia.  Give me your werewolves, your faeries, your huddled masses of magic-folk yearning to practice the black arts freely.  Sorry vampires, you are so not invited in.           

No comments:

Post a Comment